The scenic and challenging trek of Kedarkantha is very famous among trekkers. Kedarkantha peak is one of the beautiful peaks in the Himalayas. A trek to the peak will offer great scenic vistas of other peaks and tranquil surroundings will leave you speechless. Uttarakhand region is full of alluring places and one can experience the best of nature.
Highlights of the trek:
- Kedarkantha Summit is at an elevation of 12,500ft.
- The trek offers amazing views of Swargarohini, Bandarpooch, and Black Peak.
- Other peaks that are visible from the Kedarkantha peak are Gangotri, Yamunotri, Rupin Pass, and Har ki Dun ranges.
- The trail will pass through by sprawling meadows, snowy zigzag slopes, dense blue pine forests, Himalayan wildflowers along the mighty snow-capped mountains.
- Mesmerizing sunrise and sudden changes in the climate that gives incredible landscapes.
- Beautiful and scenic campsites Juda ka Talab, Hargaon, and the great Kedarkantha.
- The Kedarkantha peak is dedicated to Lord Shiva. You will get a chance to visit the beautiful Shiva Temple at the top peak.
Best time to visit
In the months of December to March, the peak is all covered with ankle-deep snow. Kedarkantha is a paradise for snow lovers. White pristine fresh snow covers the whole trail. It is a famous winter trek. And the views of other peaks are enchanting.
Kedarkantha Trek is also a popular summer trek as the region remains cold and pleasant in the months of April to June. The spring blooms and the lush greenery of meadows, dense rhododendrons and dandelions, with rich flora & fauna, leave you awestruck. In monsoons, the trail gets slippery and muddy due to heavy rains. It is advisable not to undertake this adventure.
The season and best time totally depend upon the trekker’s preference.
How to Reach
Kedarkantha trek begins from Sankri village in Dehradun. Dehradun is connected by major cities like Delhi. Take a direct bus, train or flight and reach Dehradun. Sankri is 200 km from Dehradun. You can take private taxis or buses to reach Sankri.
Kedarkantha is considered an easy to slight moderate difficulty trek. The trail is not so tricky and doesn’t have many steep climbs. There are only gradual ascends and descends on the route. This winter adventure starts from Sankri Basecamp and takes you through the grandeur of amazing vistas and lush greenery of meadows.
Physical fitness is required and as you gain the altitude oxygen level decreases. It is highly advisable people who are suffering from breathing problems, asthma, low blood pressure does not do this snow adventure. Beginners are advised to start yoga to make your lungs strong for higher altitudes and exercise for strength & stamina required during the trek.
One should also be mentally strong and prepared for the trek. Mental and physical fitness are both necessary for any adventure.
About The Trekking Route
- Reach Dehradun
- Kedarkantha trek starts from Sankri village and moves towards the to Juda ka Talab which is at an altitude of 9,100ft. You will see dense forests of pine forests. The trail is a bit tricky but easy to climb. Juda ka Talab is a beautiful campsite. Camping near the two lakes all surrounded by snow and dense oaks and rhododendrons will be a memorable experience.
- Next, the trek moves from Juda ka Talab to Kedakantha basecamp, at an altitude of 11,500ft. You will experience the best vistas of snow-covered peaks from the top of Kedarkantha. Camping experience at the Kedar Kantha base camp will be unforgettable and the most scenic one.
- The trail starts descends from Kedarkantha to Hargaon which is at 8,900ft. The trek to Hargaon will take you through the dense forests of oaks, pines, and frozen streams.
- Hargaon campsite is another beautiful and last campsite of the trek.
- Further, the trail goes to Hargaon to Sankri. And the trek ends at Sankri village.
Things to carry
A list of basic and important items that should be with you:
- Trekking pole
- Trekking shoes or gumboots
- Woolen sweater, jacket, and clothes.
- Scarfs, & mufflers.
- Woolen gloves
- Woolen cap
- Sunscreen & lip balm
- Water bottle
- Eatables like energy bars, cookies, etc.
- Raincover for rucksack
- Thermal inner wear for top & bottom
- Extra polythene or carry bag
- Torch & flashlights
- Extra batteries
- Mandatory ID Proofs
- First aid kit
- Extra pair of socks
Booking your trek with a good tour operator will always make your journey smooth. Tour operators will plan your itinerary and you will trek with a certified trek leader.
Mountains always teach you the skills of trekking and traveling. If you are beginner then, Try to learn new trekking skills and explore the surroundings.
This is all you should know about the KedarKantha trek. The best snow and winter trek is waiting for you. Plan your Kedarkantha trek and get close to nature.
Live. Travel. Explore!!